Being Interviewed as a CHHS Tennis Player

Julia Craig, Staff Writer

My tennis team and I had the opportunity to be interviewed by the Howler.  All 16 of us on the tennis team were there and we were excited to have the spotlight on us.  As we had a turnaround season, we are proud of ourselves and what we have accomplished this season.  Going for two-plus seasons of going 0-10 last year to going 5-5 in the league this year is a big feat for us. A full season with a new coach, hard work, and more chemistry between the girls are three significant reasons we had such a good season.  The team is a mix of all grade levels and levels of experience. It was also the biggest team, we’ve ever had, with sixteen girls on varsity alone. The team captains, seniors Rachel Yao and myself, Julia Craig, had several responsibilities on the team and helped build chemistry.  We had several team outings where we bonded and became friends on and off the tennis court. Rachel and I was asked what growth we have seen this season compared to the past years. I have been on varsity since my sophomore year and there are several differences. Before, the team didn’t have the chemistry we needed to perform on the court, and there wasn’t the same level of commitment there should have been.

Now, I believe the whole team, from seniors down to freshmen, are close.  Everyone cares about each other and we have fun during practice and games.  Due to this, the girls care more about the team and practice is mandatory. We work hard on the court and I believe this contributed to our success this season.  It was a fun experience being interviewed by journalism and the team will be working hard for another rewarding season next year.