• Girls Cross Country
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2

Cross Country Queens: A Reflection on the Successful Girls XC Season

Photo by Howler Staff

Photo by Howler Staff

Photo by Howler Staff

January 9, 2020

The Girls Cross Country team at Chino Hills High School has had an incredible season, consisting of happy memories, long practices, and of course, multiple wins. This year, the girls have had many accomplishments, from being ranked sixth in division one, to being named Baseline League champions, this group is dedicated and passionate about their sport. All the success the team has achieved this year did not come without a few adjustments and bumps in the road. This season, the girls had to learn to work with a new coach, Coach Kreiss, who ended up being a beneficial leader for the team. Before getting to know her, the team was concerned that a change in leadership would result in more slacking off, and lack of dedication. “We were wrong!”, says senior captain Lauren Jauregui, “Kreiss pushed us throughout the season and motivated us to do our best!” Despite the change in coaching, working in the team’s favor, a midseason injury to star runner and captain Jacqui Duarte, put the team in a difficult position. Losing one of the best runners on the team for two months was not something the girls could have accounted for, however, they worked together to stay positive and focused while she was out. Team bonding played a significant role in the success of the team. According to freshman, Megan Chiotti, “We have weekly pasta parties to help us bond and prepare for meets. They are my favorite tradition because they put us in a good headspace, and we are able to stay motivated throughout our races”. Overall, the Girls Cross Country team has an inspiring work ethic, and their dedication and perseverance throughout this season has contributed to their teamwork and success.

Leading the Pack: Girls Cross Country Takes Home the Baseline League Championship

As their season came to an end, the dedicated runners of the Girls Cross Country Team are proud of the accomplishments they have been able to achieve. Whether they are working towards a personal record, or a team win, they consistently put in their best effort to achieve their goals. In order to prepare for races, the team runs 5-8 miles, 6 days a week. This hard work certainly paid off. The girls reminisced on their undefeated season, and what it felt like to be named as the Baseline League Champions. The girls agreed that the win felt surreal and that the championship was the biggest highlight of their season. The girls have had a very memorable season, and they have been supportive of one another throughout. Some of their favorite memories were team pasta parties that took place before races, their summer beach trip, and joking around with each other before the races start. In order to stay in shape during the off-season, all of the girls on the Cross Country team also run track. All of the running they do is strenuous and challenging, but according to team captain, Lauren Jauregui, “The satisfaction you feel when you push yourself and finish with a good time is worth the challenges [you endure] during the race.” Another team captain, Jacqui Durarte, says that one of the biggest lessons she has learned from running is discipline. The combination of self-motivation and teamwork is what allowed the team to become so successful this season. They look forward to continuing their hard work and hope to further their success by winning CIF next season. 

CHHS Girl’s Cross Country Running into First Place

With captains Jackie Duarte and Lauren Juaregi, the Girls’ Cross Country team here at Chino Hills High School placed first in the Baseline League tournament this year. This was their fifth time winning the tournament in a row. Because of this, the girls had high expectations for this season. However, it wasn’t an easy road to get there. 

The Cross Country team requires rigorous practice. The girls run 6 days a week. A typical week for them includes running six to eight miles on Monday, running hills or intervals on Tuesday and Thursday, running 6 miles on Wednesday and Friday (as a “recovery”), and running the longest on Saturday. Because of this, shin splints and other overuse injuries are common, and the runners need to buy new running shoes every three to four months. Tournaments aren’t easy either. An average tournament takes several hours. The girls may get there at three o’clock and not run until 9 o’clock. They make the best of it by joking around and having fun watching other races. They do say that the porta-potty lines get very long, though, the biggest downside. 

Being on the team is a lot of work, but the girls still have fun doing it. Freshman Meghan Chiotti says that running is her happy space, and Isabella Duarte also a freshman thinks that running is relaxing. All of the girls on the team enjoy running so much that they say they will continue running after high school, even if not competitively. The team also has fun outside of running. Favorite memories of the teammates include tie-dying shirts, pasta parties, going to Buca di Beppo as a team before making it to CIF, and having a beach trip at the end of summer camp. All of these are reasons why the girls are motivated to continue running despite the intense nature of the sport. 

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial