Boba, Pearl Milk Tea or Bubble Tea, is a Popular Drink Worldwide

Video by Alexis Greer

https://images.app.goo.gl/TBuEwEiE84t9Awmc6 https://images.app.goo.gl/2oYtka1SYkQDB5iK6

Either before or after school, you can see students walking to these Boba shops

Cissy Lu, Tiffany Chen, and Alexis Greer

Boba, also known as pearl milk tea or bubble tea, is a popular drink worldwide. Its popularity is due to its unique texture and flavors including matcha, peach, taro, and many others. Many tea shops have become creative with their presentation for bubble tea, attracting new customers and gaining popularity.

The renowned beverage originating from Taiwan in the early 1980s was brought over to the U.S. by Asian immigrants, mostly to the Bay Area in northern California. Its popularity spread only recently due to social media and online marketing. Apps like Yelp and Instagram help promote tea shops in the area.

Since the popularity of Boba grew rapidly, new tea shops have appeared endlessly. The availability and large variety of toppings and flavors entice locals and new customers. Because of its unique taste and look, many different cultural backgrounds enjoy the beverage.

There are two Boba shops that are within close distance of the Chino Hills High School campus. The two shops are Sharetea (a popular Boba chain that started in the year of 1992 in Taiwan) and 7 Leaves (a newer yet successful Boba chain with Vietamnese owners). Either before or after school, you can see students walking to these Boba shops. Whether it’s to order a drink, study, or to chill with friends, there is no denying that these boba shops have become a popular hangout spot for high schoolers.

Although a treat for many people after a long week, overconsumption of Boba may possess some health risks. Each Boba drink averages about 500 calories. Aside from high-calorie content in sugar and fat, Boba can cause diabetes contributing to America’s growing obesity rates. Other symptoms from the overconsumption of Boba include acne and skin inflammation from dairy in the popular drink.

In conclusion, boba tea gained popularity through a new consumer base in the U.S. The popular drink gained attraction for its unique look, taste, and customizability. Its popularity is partly due to its online presence and availability to the local consumers.